Tuesday, August 10, 2010

SHORT STORIES INTERWOVEN WITH MUSIC

Just like a perfectly written novel, a perfectly written song is literature. A song might be compared to poetry, but considering the great stories songs can tell I prefer to think of them as short stories.

Music has the gift of psyching you up or calming you down. Music alone can do that, but when you add words a song becomes much more than just music. It becomes a companion. Every person has a soundtrack to their life (which consists of one song for each of the following categories: Opening Credits, Waking up, First Day of School, Falling In Love, Fighting, Breaking Up, Prom, Life, Mental Breakdown, Driving, Flashback, Making Up, Wedding, Birth Of Child, Final Battle, Death Scene, Funeral, and End Credits). When you think about it, it's not that hard to determine the soundtrack of your life. You remember songs that are connected to significant moments in your life. These songs that trigger memories of happy times, confusing times and sad times. You have that song that you play when you're angry. You have that song that you play when you're heartbroken. You have that song that you play when you're nervous. It's easy to take songs for granted, but it's important to remember that some creative soul took the time to sit down and create the words and the music that make up these songs that can so perfectly reflect our lives in a particular point in time.

Today I wish to share the lyrics of one song with you. It's by Christina Perri, and it's called "Jar of Hearts". I absolutely love the imagery used in this song. It's just one example of a beautifully written short story interwoven with music.

Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts

No I can't take one more step towards you
Cause all that's waiting is regret
And don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore
You lost the love I loved the most

I learned to live half alive
And now you want me one more time

And who do you think you are
Running around leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are

I hear you're asking all around
If I am anywhere to be found
But I have grown too strong
To ever fall back in your arms

I learned to live half alive
And now you want me one more time

And who do you think you are
Running around leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are

And it took so long just to feel alright
Remember how to put back the light in my eyes
I wish I would have missed the first time that we kissed
Cause you broke all your promises
And now you're back
You don't get to get me back

And who do you think you are
Running around leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
Don't come back for me
Don't come back at all

And who do you think you are
Running around leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
Don't come back for me
Don't come back at all

Who do you think you are

We've already established that I love contemporary dance routines. Here is one danced to Jar of Hearts. Choreographed by Stacey Tookey and danced by Kathryn McCormick and Billy Bell. The embedding function has been disabled, so please view the video on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c6kwemiMpY&feature=related
Sometimes a novel can be very similar to your own life, but more often than not a song can be like a memoire you wrote yourself.
Song writers just don't get enough recognition. Let's hope they don't mind, and never stop writing!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ever wanted to get free Facebook Likes?
    Did you know that you can get them ON AUTOPILOT AND ABSOLUTELY FREE by getting an account on Add Me Fast?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Twitter

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...